6 countries, 70 days, malaria pills, and traveling college girls (41 SE Asia, 29 Europe) out for an adventure of a lifetime. No one knows where life will take us, what could happen, or what we will end up eating… all we know is that our children and grandchildren will never hear the end of these stories. Kelsey and Sami will be posting about the first part of the trip in Southeast Asia and while Kelsey goes back to the States, Sami and Kayla continue the adventure in Europe.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Slice of Pai


Since we had a final exam due the day of the infamous full moon party down in the Islands (which meant we couldn't make it down there in time), our professor decided to take us on a two-night trip to the Northern Thailand Hippie Town called Pai to make up for it. After a 3 hour van ride and 762 (ish) turns later, our windy drive left us in probably the coolest little town I have ever seen. Everything was Rastafarian, small shops and restaurants lined the streets, and cool old Thai guys with dreadlocks and tattoos were everywhere. It was awesome! We stayed in these brightly colored bungalows that overlooked the Pai river. Sami and I loved to sit on our porch and relax.
Shortly after we arrived and had finished roaming the funky streets, a group of us decided to take a van to a nearby waterfall. It was pouring rain and our van driver was going extra slow on the muddy roads, but eventually we made it. Sam and I jumped in and had a quick swim and then headed back for dinner.
Exhausted and starving, a few of us decided to stop at a restaurant that served breakfast all day long. Except it took them an hour and a half to get out food…and we never even got it!!! And poor Sami had a really bad tummy ache which didn’t make matters any better. I cancelled my order and went for street food before we called it a night.
The next day, we ventured with a couple friends who rented motorbikes to a cool hangout spot called the Jungle Bar. This place was awesome! It was a couple bamboo huts with hammocks, drinks, and reggae music.

We hung out and enjoyed the scenery for a while and then decided to go innertubing down the Pai river.  For 150 baht, a group of 14 of us each got innertubes, a dry bag, and the experience of a lifetime. It was so surreal. I had to keep telling myself that I was floating down a river with great friends in the middle of THAILAND. It was gorgeous and way too much fun getting stuck on rocks and branches. After a much needed shower a few of us headed to a burger joint. I am proud to say that I ordered a crocodile burger… and it was one of the most delicious burgers I have ever had. I cant really explain the taste but I can easily say that grilled croc is absolutely amazing!
Afterward, Sami went with me hand in hand to do something crazy… get my nose pierced! (don’t worry these piercing places were top-notch and completely sanitary/sterile). I must say a little pain went a long way and I am loving my nose ring today!! Thanks for holding my hand Sam.

After that we gathered outside our bungalows for some great live music performed the cool old Thai men previously mentioned. They sang Bob Marley and the Eagles and were extremely talented! We met a group of Israeli soldiers who had just finished 3 years of duty and were celebrating in Thailand. At midnight when the bars opened (it was a Buddhist holiday and no alcohol was sold until midnight on the last day) we went out and had a ball! Before leaving, Sami and I got breakfast with our professor and her husband at a place called The Witching Well. It was so good!! We got toast with balsamic vinegrette, cheese, tomato, and basil and a side of scrambled eggs. Probably one of the best breakfasts we have had this whole trip. Finally, it was time to say goodbye to Pai. But not without homemade green tea gelato in a freshly made cone. – Kels

No comments: